Friday, April 23, 2010

Exhausted...

...is the only way I can describe our family right now. Caroline has been up each night since Tuesday with a horrible cough. She was running a fever of 100 to 101...nothing that Motrin couldn't handle. So, we would get up with her 5 to 6 times each night with the cough and restlessness. Blake stayed home with her yesterday (our normal routine) and he called me yesterday morning at work saying that Caroline was running a fever of 101 and was really lethargic. So, I called the dr who then transferred me to a triage nurse. Honestly, I wasn't sure if we needed to come in or not and we are scheduled to come in on Monday for her 15 month check-up so I didn't want to have to make two trips if it wasn't necessary. I wasn't sure if she needed to go b/c she only had the cough, a little fever, slighty runny nose but no other huge symptoms at the time. Oh, and she was still eating good too. So, I talked to the triage nurse and we determined over the phone that it could very well be teething (she has at least 4 teeth coming in right now) or maybe a cold. We decided not to make an appt and just to give it time to see if it clears up. When I got home, I noticed Caroline just wasn't herself and her eyes were so swollen and pitiful. I took her temp and it was 104. What??? You know I freaked out. We quickly packed everything up and went to the choa immediate care center.

The dr came in, we gave him her symptoms, he looked her over and couldn't find anything wrong. He thought it would be necessary to do a catheter to make sure it wasn't a UTI infection. Of course, it wasn't. Caroline's symptoms are congestion, cough, fever, teething. Nothing to do with a UTI. I was a little ticked that he wanted to do that but none the less, that was one thing ruled out. So, since he felt like she didn't have an infection he thought it was just something viral and should last a couple more days. He said it's going around right now...I'm hoping he is right and that it's nothing more than that.

Last night was rough. We were up and down all night. At 2am Caroline woke up screaming so we both went in to check on her and her nose was bleeding and her sheets were bloody. Not sure if she picked her nose so bad that it bled since she can't breathe or if it started on it's own. Her temp at 2am was 103 so we gave her more motrin. Today, she is home with daddy getting some cuddle time. I'm praying that she will be over what ever this is soon...b/c none of us are getting much sleep these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment